Jizzy Pearl Official Message Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
October 17, 2017, 06:41:54 PM

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TIDBITS  (Read 8249 times)
JP
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« on: February 03, 2012, 03:10:44 PM »

On the recording of 'Dope'---there is a cello and a bagpipe track in the bridge section right before the solo. We hired them just because we could, how cool is that. We had to speed up the bagpipe track because bagpipes only play in the key of B flat and Dope was in D...

"Lets Rumble" was supposed to be the band's big song they played at the end of the movie Airheads but the producers thought the vocals were too high. We still got paid though...

Spinning Wheel almost didn't make the record because someone thought it sounded too "Alice in Chainsy"--

Shes an Angel is about an actual person Skid had a brief relationship with in the 80's, way before we ever got a deal. She was put in a troubled youth home and the part about Mommy taking bass strings off the bass was actually true. Years later she showed up at our loft, all grown up and wanting Skid's new phone number.

There is a long ad-lib vamp ending at the end of the song Wasted in America that I sing but originally we wanted Chuck D from Public Enemy to do that. He was on our label and we dug them so us in our hubris thought we could get him to do it. He didn't, obviously so I just sang it.

JP
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 10:10:56 AM »

When we went to New York to record the Wasted record we looked at three studios. One of them was Electric Ladyland, where we should have recorded. We chose the Power Station because we wanted to record the record LIVE like Van Halen. We rehearsed hours and hours every day for 2 weeks in our NY loft but ended up recording separately anyway. In retrospect I wish we would have recorded at Electric Lady, it was right in Washington Square in the coolest part of town a few miles from our home.

Our loft was awesome, it costs $3300 a month to rent at the time, all paid for by Sony. The downstairs basement was rehearsal/recording area, 2nd level was living quarters and kitchen, upstairs was a huge wooden patio area for BBQ's and general mayhem. And the whole thing was connected via sub-basements to other places, a caterer business, a bar and a funeral parlor. In the summer it was HOT, Skid and Joe had small rooms with windows so they were able to have air conditioner units. I was on the other side of the building and cooked. Picture Jersey Shore vibe, us going out every night drinking and bringing home girls to ravish. Every night. Scrap Bar, Limelight, Cat Club, CBGB's, all a cab ride away and fun fun fun.

Southern Man

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 07:32:31 PM »

Don't ever second guess anything about the Wasted record cause it was fucking awesome.  You guys delivered the goods on that one.  There's no such thing as perfection and chasing it will just drive you nuts(I know from experience).  It's about writing good songs and executing them....and you guys totally did it on that record.  I know there are more good songs to come from you in the future as well.
Gordie1972

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 01:02:24 PM »

Dont be afraid? any bits on that, one of the best basslines ever love the song

G
JP
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 01:08:14 PM »

I wrote about Don't be Afraid on an earlier thread.

Did you know that Rock Queen is the most played Love/Hate song on digital radio?
JP
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 01:19:58 PM »

A few tidbits more--

"Do You Wanna Get High?" was a song written for my ex-wife now 'reality' star Josie. There was this cable show trying to get off the ground, sort of like Jackass meets Cheech and Chong and Josie had a small part in the pilot. I accompanied her, Muddy & some girl named Melissa to the opening. Driving down the San Diego freeway all of them started passing bottles of booze, laughing and swerving lane to lane and I was struck by how 'teenager' it all was, it reminded me of my youth when I didn't give a fuck and a DUI only cost you a $250 fine. If you listen to the lyrics you'll get the jist--its all about her.

Better Days is probably my best song, I think. Simple but very melodic. Again its about Josie who was very sick at the time. When you feel helpless and you can't physically do something to make things better being a songwriter comes in very handy indeed. Later on when we split up I sent her a copy of the 'Vegas' CD and she was a little freaked out, the honesty of 'How'd I get So Lonely' probably made her wax nostalgic. I remember her telling me " At least I have Better Days".
Jayhawk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 05:10:46 PM »

Did you know that Rock Queen is the most played Love/Hate song on digital radio?

Yep, at just about 8am central time while I'm driving to work they love to play Rock Queen on Hair Nation. This seems to be the only time I hear L/H on Sirius/XM and it's always Rock Queen.  I believe they also use the into to Blackout in one of their station ID promos.   
Jayhawk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 05:16:57 PM »

Checking out the playlist apparently they do only play Rock Queen..here's the last 7 times L/H was played.

Search results 1 to 7 of 7 total matches   
Channel   Artist   Title   Date   Time
30   Love/Hate    Rock Queen   2/1/2012   2:26:24 AM
30   Love/Hate    Rock Queen   2/1/2012   2:25:42 AM
30   Love/Hate    Rock Queen   1/31/2012   8:05:42 AM
30   Love/Hate    Rock Queen   1/30/2012   12:54:44 AM
30   Love/Hate    Rock Queen   1/30/2012   12:53:37 AM
30   Love/Hate    Rock Queen   1/29/2012   7:29:42 AM
30   Love/Hate    Rock Queen   1/29/2012   7:28:53 AM
mOji

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 07:19:22 PM »

I dig this online station. You can request songs on their FACEBOOK page. They usually play within the hour. I've heard Dope, BOITRR and Spinning Wheel. Jason McMasterss from Dangerous Toys. Just did a 4 hr guest DJ spot. He told tons of road and studio stories and played some killer tunes. I'm not a fan of DT at all. But it was a very cool show. I suggested to the station to contact Jizzo to do the same.

LINK TO STATION: http://www.iheart.com/#/live/4858/
Request page once you LIKE/ADD them: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Slippery-When-Wet-Radio/122737791105642

misterjameswest

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 10:36:16 PM »

I really like "Just A Boy" as it's solid through and through.  Jizzy, when you finished the song "Better Days", did you know you had written one of your best/favorite songs?(as you said above) and do you feel the same about the cd as a whole?  I just loved the whole vibe of that cd.  "Never Let You Go" is so creepy!!(but in a good way! lol).  So much good stuff on there.

JP
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 07:51:47 AM »

I recorded that CD in stages, due to the fact that I had limited funds at the time. Extreme, Feed your Head and Morbid Fascination were recorded earlier when I was tinkering with the idea of a new Love/Hate with Johnny Crypt. He played the guitars on some of those songs. When I joined RATT I made some money and went back in to Muddy's house and recorded the rest. Never Let you Go was written on the road with Ratt--

Songwriting is sometimes tedious, you work for hours and hours trying to put something together. Those kind of songs usually aren't the best ones. The best ones come bursting out very quickly and it seems almost magical, like it has been given to you by the Rock Gods. Better Days was one of those. So was How'd I get so Lonely, another great one. I woke up one morning with the bass riff and vocal from Little Dancer in my head, hurried to the tape recorder to get it down.

I had a nightmare mixing Just a Boy. The guy who mixed it was very slow, what was supposed to take a few days took weeks. He had a weird mastering program that he used that when applied made the guitars twice as loud in the mix. I seemed to be the only one who heard it. I had to go back two more times and in my head approximate how loud the mastering program was going to make the guitars sound. He was staying with a roomate who's wife was dying, she'd answer the door looking really really bad and then she died before my record was finished. I had to go back and re-master and the roommate would be freaking out and carrying a large picture of his dead wife around...it was very surreal.

Southern Man

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 04:51:11 PM »

How'd I Get So Lonely is one of my favorites....good groove and message that I've totally lived.  I also dig the picture on the back of that cd with your head hanging walking past what appears to be a seedy apartment building.  Pete Reveen laid down some really good guitar playing on the Vegas Must Die record and I'd love to hear you two work together again.
mOji

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 05:07:48 PM »

"Long Time" off of Vega$ is my fave. Straight forward kick ass rocker. Speaking of Vega$ I was curious. Were the first few milli-seconds or so from the opening riff of "Hit and Miss" off count/edited too close? I've always thought the intro riff seemed off a bit. Whens the 3rd solo CD coming out?

C_

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 05:32:47 PM »

Vegas is my favorite. Especially, true love and you Don't own me.
JP
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 10:15:27 AM »

Here's a funny story. I think it was 1993 New Years Eve, L/H had a gig with Quiet Riot. It was packed with hair metal afficionados. Kevin had a HUGE wig back then, he looked like one of the Three Musketeers. Seriously, it was absurd, he looked like an English barrister. We did the gig and I felt so stupid and dated with my long hair that the next day I walked across the street and had one of my friends shear my hair off like a sheep. All of it, cue ball. My band guys weren't pleased but soon after Skid cut his hair off as well. I remember sleeping in my shitty loft and it being so cold I had to wear a shirt on my head like Ramses to keep my head warm.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: